Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Attachment Parenting

Today I got into an argument with someone over attachment parenting.  I was explaining to this person why I am always holding my son.  This answer is so obvious! I love him! Who doesn't want to hold their precious child?  They argued that it is not healthy for a baby to be held all the time and it makes them dependent on others for the rest of their lives.

I also believe in gentle parenting.  Prior to having Little Man, I was all for the spanking and hardcore discipline because I did not want my son acting like a wild animal while we were out and about.  This all changed when I held him for the first time. I no longer believe in spanking, downgrading, or yelling at my children.

I did not know there was a such thing as attachment parenting before my son was born.


The vision of attachment parenting is to raise children who will become adults with a highly developed capacity for empathy and connection.  It eliminates violence as a means for raising children, and ultimately helps to prevent violence in a society as a whole.

The essence of AP is about forming and nurturing strong connections between parents and their children.  AP challenges us as parents to treat our children with kindness, respect and dignity, and to model in our interactions with them the way we would like them to interact with others.


Ever since coming home from the hospital, I've had a hard time putting my son down.  Mainly because I can't help it :) He's so darn cute!! I feel so attached to him and I feel guilty if I put him down.  My dad has said to me a couple times "Don't you ever put that baby down?!"  My response to him was "Yeah when I go pee, and shower!"  I hold him constantly because that is what feels RIGHT to ME.

I can't bear the sound of his pitiful cries! So, I take care of him and nurture him.  So far it has been absolutely WONDERFUL! I exclusively breast feed, co-sleep, and baby wear :) The bonding experience is indescribable! My son trusts me, and knows that I will tend to his needs.  The more I give to him and respond to his needs, the more he gives back to me.

Sooooo with that said... I will be breastfeeding my son until he decides to wean himself, even if that means breast feeding until he is 4 years old.  He will continue to sleep with me in my bed, and I will continue to wear him :)

Being an attached parent is honestly the best thing ever <3

Please keep in mind, these are my beliefs and opinions.  I will not point any fingers at people who do not share the same beliefs.

Thanks for reading :)


No comments:

Post a Comment